Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Wish List is Growing

Recent blog posts highlighting overachieving plants have been motivating and my wish list of plants keeps growing. 

I've also been inspired by 
Tracy Disabato-Aust’s book,

Paperbark Maple

Tracy filters her plant picks through the following rigorous checklist:

·         Long-lived
·         Tolerates heat and humidity
·         Cold-hardy
·         Deer-resistant
·         Insect and disease resistant
·         Minimal or no deadheading
·         Minimal or no fertilizing
·         No staking
·         Minimal or no division
·         Minimal or no pruning
·         Non-invasive
·         Drought-tolerant

If you'd like your garden to be high on low maintenance plants, Tracy’s book offers some enticing options.

Hakone Grass
(Photo taken at Hershey Gardens)

Virginia Sweetspire
A number of her picks are plants that I’ve had my eye on for while:  Golden-variegated Hakone Grass (Hakonechloa macra ‘Aureola’), Rozanne Hardy Geranium (Geranium Rozanne), Blue False Indigo (Baptisia australis) and ‘Henry’s Garnet’ Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica ‘Henry’s Garnet’), to name a few.  This may just give me the push I need to get them into the ground.      
She includes plants recently featured in blogs I follow: Hellebore (Helleborus - see Carolyn’s Shadegardens for fall blooming Hellebores) and ’Blue Fortune’ Anise Hyssop (Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’ - see Rhone Street Gardens for his favorite Agastache). 

Siberian Bugloss
There are new takes on old favorites from some of my past gardens, Purple Snakeroot (Actaea simplex Atropurpurea Group) and ‘Jack Frost’ Siberian Bugloss (Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’). 

Intriguing choices for foliage color include ‘Britt-Marie Crawford’ Ligularia (Ligularia dentata ‘Britt-Marie Crawford’), ‘Gold Heart’ Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis ‘Gold Heart’) and Dragon’s-eye Pine (Pinus densiflora’Oculus-draconis’).  Plants featuring unique foliage color and form are deservedly gaining attention for providing long lasting interest in the garden.

Paperbark Maple
 



Several high interest trees and shrubs, such as Paperbark Maple (Acer griseum) are also included. 


is sure to expand your palette of low maintenance plants without sacrificing the show. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paperbark maple two thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for linking to my blog!!! I have every plant mentioned in your post except the agastache and pine, and I agree completely with the author's assessments. I try not to plant any plants that don't meet her requirements because I don't spray, water, stake, deadhead or otherwise pamper my plants. If they need to be pampered, I don't want them.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Great list to consider plants by. I love my Itea, love the red color in the fall.

Carol said...

I love the paperbark Maple! Best of luck with your list and acquiring the plants of your choice.

Chris said...

GWGT: It is a beautiful tree.

Carolyn: You are quite welcome - it's a worthwhile post. Glad to hear that you've had good experiences with these plants!

Janet: I appreciate your visit! Itea are still looking beautiful in this area in January!

Carol: Thanks for stopping by and for your encouragement! It's so much fun to dream about spring planting in the winter.

Jan said...

I'm an agastache nut. It does so well here with no maintenance and is a butterfly magnet. It is probably my favorite perennial of all. I also love most of the rest that you mentioned. I haven't read her book but it hits right on the ones that are high performers in my garden...ie: brunnera, actea,dicentra and another fave: hellebore!

Alistair said...

I have reached that stage when I now realise that we can make gardening a bit more relaxed. Love the Hakonechloa. My posts all revolve around individual plants.

Chris said...

Jan: I've not grown Agastache, but am intent on getting it into my garden. I'm glad to hear another plug for it and others!

Alistair: I agree - I want my garden to be a beautiful and relaxing place for everyone, including myself!

Janet/Plantaliscious said...

Great criteria for choosing plants - I try to follow most of them, but don't need to worry about either drought or deer. Snails, on the other hand, mean I have given up on hostas other than in pots. I have the plain form of Hakonechloa, which I adore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...